Open Source Certification Standards – 200 hour level
Teaching the fundamentals series and passing the written test with 70% grade
Teaching demonstration will be subjectively graded on clarity, confidence, creating supportive and disciplined environment and continuity of mental focus.
- Teach the above poses, observing and not simultaneously performing the poses with the student.
- Student taught into the basic form of each pose to their ability, blocks or props given if needed.
- Concise verbal and safe, effective physical adjustments when needed.
- Clear, audible language, camera position such that both student and teacher can be seen all the time.
- Smooth transition language pose to pose.
- Teacher holds a comfortable and safe space.
- Recorded audio of the teacher is very clear, every word understandable.
- Pose durations between 30 seconds and one minute on each side.
- Know the correct width of stance for that particular student. To say, “step your feet 3 1/2 feet wide” may not be correct. People have different leg lengths, arm lengths, and range of motion which will determine the appropriate length of stance for them.
- Know if the student will need a block to support their bottom hand (the one that would be touching the floor for stability and to help open that shoulder).
- Guide integrative muscular action in the lower and upper body to ensure a safe and comfortable entry into the pose.
To teach hatha yoga effectively, competence in teaching the essential standing, seated, supine, prone and inverted postures is necessary. The teacher must be intimate with the poses through regular self-practice. When the essential poses are integrated on a personal level then the teacher is able to view another in those poses and offer both objective and subjective commentary and assistance. One could say that mastery in teaching hatha yoga happens when the teaching becomes spontaneous. This takes time.
200 hour yoga teacher training and development courses in Vancouver, B.C., residential training on Texada Island and part-time courses in Kuwana, Japan are available.